FAA AC 150/5345-46 Para. 18.104.22.168
- Airfield lights are mounted on frangible couplings which are designed to break at a defined force. Their use protects the integrity of the unit itself and minimizes damage to the object that strikes it.
- Couplings have a designed yield point, therefore they should be used with the light they are designed for. Failure to do so will result in the coupling not working properly
- Frangible couplings allow repairs to take place in minimal time.
FFAA AC 150/5345-45
ICAO Annex 14 Vol. I Para. 22.214.171.124
- Frangible Masts are support structures for elevated approach lighting that break or yield on impact, to minimize damage airplanes and maximize safety
- Frangible masts are very lightweight, yet rigid structures that break or yield on impact,